What do i do if i have no renters insurance and my home caught fire do to the meter?

Protect your belongings in the apartment!

What do i do if i have no renters insurance and my home caught fire do to the meter?

Postby banjiman75 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 pm

my home caught fire and we were renting however we had no renters insurance at all. The source of the fire was due to the meter however every lawyer I talked to will not touch the case.
banjiman75

Postby jerold65 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Get a report from the fire inspector that states the cause of the fire. If you can get paperwork from your previous landlords regarding their home owner's insurance payout that would be nice as well. Then sue the power company, landlord, or whoever owned and was responsible for the upkeep of whichever meter caused the fire. You do not need a lawyer if you have all the proof. If you're not sure how to go about filing a lawsuit, go ask at the court house in your area, they should be able to help.
jerold65

Postby rigg51 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:49 pm

If you had renters insurance they would have paid the claim.
rigg51

Postby devin4 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 pm

It wasn't your home, so the owner's insurance will pay for necessary repairs to the building. Your furniture, clothings, and other personal items did not belong to the home owner, so he is not responsible for their loss. That's why you needed renter's insurance.
devin4

Postby abrao » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 pm

If you mean that the meter was defective, you might try suing the manufacturer.
If you mean that it was installed wrong, you might try suing the electrician who installed it wrong.

If no lawyer will touch the case, then you should not sue in regular court, because it is hard to sue there without a lawyer. (Also, if the lawyers won't touch the case, that may mean that they think you will lose.)

You can sue in small claims court without a lawyer, but the amount that you can get is limited. For example, it might be just $5000.
abrao

Postby attlee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm sorry, but unless you can prove that the meter failed due to negligence - whether faulty installation or faulty product - this is categorized as just one of those things. No different than any other loss to the structure.

Your landlord's assets were covered under his/her dwelling policy if he chose to be properly insured. You chose not to get insurance. Ergo.....

I don't see that there's anything you can do now, but moving forward, please get a renters policy with adequate replacement cost on your personal property. Sit down and figure out what that would be. Plus get a decent amount of liability just in case something happens in that regard.
attlee

Return to Renters Insurance