Does USAA property insurance cover cell phones?

Own a home? Better insure it!

Postby fabroni » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I have bestbuy insurance on my phone right now, but i heard of peoples homeowners insurance covering there phones.
fabroni

Postby danil » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Call USAA and ask this question.
danil

Postby frisco52 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Homeowners insurance is named perils on contents. That means, in order for the item to be covered the cause of the damage has to be specifically listed in the policy.

Examples of named perils include: fire, lighting, wind storm. So, if the phone was on your coffee table and your house burned down...then the homeowners policy would cover it.

If your phone fell out of your pocket and broke...there is no peril in the homeowners policy that covers this - therefore, your phone would not be covered.

Usually the insurance purchased from the cell phone provider provides more coverage than your homeowners policy would pay.
frisco52

Postby bainhrydge » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Homeowners doesn't cover your cell phone for "oops I dropped it" or "oops I lost it". It will cover "it was stolen" "a car ran over it" or "an airplane fell on it".

Your deductible would apply, and because two claims gets you cancelled, it's absolutely silly to file a claim on your homeowners policy for something as low value as a cell phone.
bainhrydge

Return to Homeowners Insurance