Someone hit my parked car, what should I do?

Postby abbot » Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 am

My car was on street side parking lot and someone hit my car from the backside by heavily damaging it (totaled). I was not there when the incidence happened. Police left a not regarding the case number. I called them and they don't reveal other side's information (including insurance info). They want me to wait 5 business days for the report (Princeton Borough Police). I called my insurance (Geico) and learned that they do not cover secondary accidents like this. I had to tow the car in front of my friends house on my own.

My question is: My car was in a legal parking space and I have been victim of the other side. Now how should I proceed? My car is totaled, will they pay for it? I did not rent a car yet but definitely I need one. If I rent it now can I make them pay for it? And the towing charges as well? Any comment will be appreciated. Thank sin advance.
abbot

Postby damien » Wed May 11, 2011 8:50 am

I'm guessing you must have liability coverage only, not collision and comprehensive which is why Geico isn't covering it. If that's the case, you can do nothing until you have the information to file a claim with the other party's insurance. You chose not to insure your vehicle against damages done to it and Geico isn't obligated to assist you in this case.
damien

Postby allyn » Wed May 11, 2011 9:04 am

Get a copy of the report, contact the other party's insurance company, & file a claim. If they act like d*cks, contact an attorney & sue for damages, court costs, attorney's fees, inconvenience, & everything else you can think of.
allyn

Postby weldon » Wed May 11, 2011 9:07 am

You were parked, they hit your care. There are no arguements or excuses, they are to blame, and you can claim off their insurance (providing they have it!). Get their insurance details from the police report, and give them to your insurance company, who should have a legal department who will sort all the paperwork and get you the money you're owed, including rental costs. Did you tell your insurance that there was a proper police report being filed, and the other driver's details are known?
weldon

Postby bowie » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 am

No it's not Geico's responsibility to handle this. You made it quite clear when you did not purchase the appropriate coverage that you didn't want them to handle things like this. They aren't going to help, because you're not paying them to help.
You'll just have to wait the five days to get the other party's info from the report.
In the meantime, your car and your transportation are your responsibility.
IF the other insurance accepts liability you MIGHT get reimbursed for your expenses.
bowie

Return to General Chatter